Welcome to Gatewood Elementary Instrumental Music
Gatewood offers instrumental music instruction during the school day for 4th and 5th grade students. Interested students should contact Ms. Lyle. Gatewood has some instruments available for use (based on availability and need.)
YouTube Videos Can Help Your Student
My goal this year through email communication is to pass on further knowledge I discover to be helpful as I discover it including YouTube.com video’s, worksheets/exercises, inspiration, etc. By the way, I highly recommend finding at least one YouTube video involving your instrument a week. A few suggested topics to search for may be:
1. How to clean the Clarinet (well, for your instrument of course 😉 2. Good tone on the Alto Sax 3. University Trombone Choir 4. Parts of the Violin
Do be aware there are not-so-helpful videos, but most of them are helpful, while enough of them will blow your mind. So, if you don’t find something you find helpful, feel free to go do something else and then come back to keep searching for that special tip. And if you find something EXTREMELY helpful (kids, this would be something you rank a 4 out of 4), shoot me an email with a description of why you think this is helpful and I just might add it to one of my e-mails.
Check out some of the links in the sidebar.
Donate an unused Instrument
Instrumental music is offered to all 4th and 5th graders at Gatewood and more than half of our current students are learning an instrument. Most of our kids rent their instruments.
If you have an instrument that’s not in use and is taking up space in your closet or know of someone who does, please consider donating it to our music program. It would be well loved! Thank you!
Contact: Stephan Childers
- Alto Saxophone Embouchure
- Alto Saxophone Maintenance (posted soon)
- Alto Sax – Thrift Shop (posted soon)
- Band – Independent Study
YouTube video by Mr Childers
- Cello Bow Hold
- Cello INSPIRATION
3:59 Percussive Cello. Wow. And I mean Wow.
- Cello Maintenance (posted soon)
- Clarinet Maintenance (posted soon)
- CLARINET TONE
13:35 Obtaining good sound on the clarinet
- FLUTE: BIG SOUND
8:56 Obtaining a nice, big, powerful sound on the flute*. *Flute students: Don’t give up! Just keep trying. The sound will never come if you don’t at least try. Try practicing in front of the mirror *wink wink*
- Flute Maintenance (posted soon)
- Rosin Your Bow (posted soon)
- Shoulder Rest – How to Put On
- Shoulder rest, no shoulder rest?
- Shoulder Rest Other Options
great resources for Violin, Flute, Clarinet, Alto Sax, and Trumpet! There is also a ?How to Hold the Cello? with a great bow hold picture. There is a Trombone section, but eh. Viola students can always explore the Violin section, but don?t study the Violin fingering chart as you?ll have to ?unlearn? it
- Strings – Independent Study
YouTube video by Mr Childers
- Trombone Maintenance (posted soon)
- Trumpet Learn to Play TAPS
Learning to play TAPS on the trumpet — YouTube video by Stephan Childers
- Trumpet Maintenance
- Trumpet (& Trombone) Embouchure (posted soon)
- Violin / Viola Bow Hold
- Violin / Viola Maintenance*